Regular Visitor
Samebet
Accepted Solution

Seagate 2TB Go Flex Desk hard drive is not recognized by replaced Mac Powerbook

[ Edited ]

I backed up my entire powerbook onto my 2 TB GoFlex Desk just before it the Mac's hard drive crashed.  I then purchased a replacement powerbook but the Seagate is not recognized so now I can't access the 60MB of files that I backed up onto it.  I can see the Seagate in Disk Utilities but that's it, it is not mounting so I can't access it.  Can anyone offer ideas?   I have a 2TB GoFlex Desk, Model:  PN: 9ZH9P9-RAA and using a USB connection.

Visitor
jennyg78

Re: Seagate 2TB Go Flex Desk hard drive is not recognized by replaced Mac Powerbook

I just read your post.  I am having a similar problem ( I can see it in disk utility, but can't access it).   Did you ever solve the problem?

Thanks!

Visitor
moizbadri

Re: Seagate 2TB Go Flex Desk hard drive is not recognized by replaced Mac Powerbook

I am having exactly the same problem. My hard drive just stopped working and is having the error: the disk inserted is not readable by this computer. Seagate please help solve this problem I have very valuable data in it.

Regular Visitor
Samebet

Hi sorry for the delay, I dont jump on here often.  No, the problem remains the same.  i went to Apple and they tried and tried and could not get the external hard drive to mount.  They said it goes to sleep as soon as it detects power from the Mac.  They recommend that I work with a tech from Seagate which I will do tomorrow.  Apparently there might be a patch that they can send me.  Wish me luck...I'll post when solved.

Regular Visitor
Samebet

SOLUTION FOUND! Ok after much hunting on the inet I FINALLY found a solution. Apparently Powerbooks have a notorious power management problem at its ports. So if you are using an unpowered USB or firewire port adapter it compounds the problem. The Mac just does not give enough power to the usb or firewire hubs to even recognize the Seagate is even connected. So, the solution is to use USB hubs (I have Belkin) that are powered -- it works! In fact it works so well that I daisy chained one firewire port adapter hub to a USB hub (both powered) and they work. So now I have extra USB portsaswell as Firewire ports. I hope this helps others -- why the Apple store or Seagate didn't know this is beyond me. Good luck! samebet