Byte
ossodiseppia

Re: Disk failure on MAXTOR SHARED STORAGE II 1TB with RAID 1

I too have lost my drive.  It seems that it never boots up.  The top light blinks green for quite a while, then gives one yellow flash and tries to reboot.  I can hear, I think, some very faint ticking, but it doesn't sound as loud as a disk that won't boot up.  It seems to be stuck on on as the fan comes on as soon as I plug in the power supply.  The reset does nothing.

I am pretty disappointed in this product.  I've been a long time Maxtor customer.  I currently have three of their drives in my PC.  But, this MSSII has been a bit of a love hate relationship since I first got it.  I am now questioning my brand loyalty.  The first three (yes, that's 3) I bought were DOA.  The replacement started dropping offline after a couple of months of use.  I constructed a small cooling tower and placed a small USB fan on top.  It really kept the unit cool.  I'm told normal operating temp is 40C.  My fan kept it cool to the touch and resolved the issue of it dropping offline.  Now, it really appears to have bought the farm.

I've read everywhere how people have been left with nothing when their drive fails.  Months ago, I had a nice long chat with one of the support analysts about these devices.  I find it interesting that these things are sold as NAS devices, but they (support) believes they need to be turned off from time to time.  What good is it to have network access storage if it's not available 24/7?  These things aren't really designed to be on 24/7 but they are being sold for that purpose?  It makes no sense to me.  After my long conversation with support, I decided not to use this as a repository for my data, but only as a backup device (as mentioned by the analyst above).  So, if the device fails, I don't lose any data.  Unfortunately, I had about a half dozen photos that I put on there, but not on my PC.  If I want those pictures, I can void my warranty to try and recover them or, I can pay Seagate x hundreds of dollars to try and recover them.  I really feel for people who have lost everything that was on their drive.  If this sort of thing is really, really common, then it's grounds for a class action law suit.

If you use the drive for anything other than backup, you need to hang a USB drive off of it to run backups.  GAK!

So, now I am back to where I was in November of 2007.  I need a large backup device, that's reliable.  So, what do I do?  I am now looking at getting an HP Media Smart home server for about $500.  It's expandable and can hold 4 additional drives.  The alternative is a several year old PC with a single 1TB drive for backups.

In this case, size matters.  I liked the idea of someting small.  In the event that I have to leave my house in an emergency, It takes 10 seconds for me to grab the device and walk out the door.  It's a little harder if I have to haul a small tower, but it's doable.

I appologize for my long rant.  It's not meant to offend any Seagate employee or dis the company.  The technical support analysts that I have talked to are great.
Visitor
BigG

I have two MSSII 2TB and one has just failed with the same symptoms you describe (refer to my reply to billper1 post under "MSSII hangs on boot" dated 31 Aug). Seems like this could be a very common problem.

Anybody else got this problem?
Visitor
kryten

Yep, another dead MSS2 2tb here. Same symptoms, I can boot mine, cant write to the shares and most of the contents has disappeared.
3 months old and failed, unbelieveable.

Anyone know why my serial number and model number is rejected by Maxtor for warranty returns? Bought it on Ebay (new and unopened)?

Rob
Byte
trunksy

[ Edited ]
I've since switched to a Buffalo 4TB Terastation Pro Rackmount and am very happy with my purchase. Hard drive 3 failed on me because of my parents shutting off my UPS without first shutting down the Terastation. Tech support was awesome. The technician knew his product inside and out. He walked me through a rebuild and when that didn't work, there wasn't any problem with sending me a complete "loaner unit" so that I could troubleshoot the system myself by replacing the appropriate hard drive and/or even the unit itself. I know of no company that will send you a complete unit for you to mix and match with your current one with the idea that you replace whatever you need to replace to fix your problem and return whatever you don't use and the parts you replaced within 14 days.

With that amount of trust that a user is that tech savvy to troubleshoot their own problem, I don't imagine it will last very long but for now, Buffalo has impressed me!

Message Edited by trunksy on 09-01-2008 12:39 PM
Byte
trunksy

Oh, anyone want to buy my old Maxtor Shared Storage II 1TB for $249? It's been rebuilt and works just fine now but out of warranty. LOL!
Byte
ossodiseppia

I just sold my 1TB drive on Fleabay.  I'm glad to see it go to a new home.  I've purchased a HP home server.  It was very affordable and can hold up to three additional drives.  Setup was a breeze.  It's my new music server and backup device.  It is truly a fire and forget device.
njc
Visitor
njc

Drive failure - Maxtor Shared Storage II   2T   I recently pruchase this device as a backup storage and hung it on wireless router, it is a bit slow but it worked for about a month until one day it went "Dismounted" and since then I have not been able to "Mount it".  The drive spins up and does some clicking "recalibrates" for about a minute and then it spins down and repeats the same process as long as it's powerup.   The top led blinks contineously, the middle led is solid on and the bottom led is periodically blinking from my router access.  I have power it down and retryed the operation but to no success.  I have been trying to get an RMA or tech support but it's almost impossible. When I checked my warranty it comes back with "unknown"

Any clues as to how to get tech support or warranty when no one answers ?

njc
Visitor
njc

I have identical problem with my Maxtor shared storage II   and I also bought it in EBAY - NEw and unopened !!!!!
Gigabyte
EasyUser

Most likely your hard drive is dead.  If your MSSII is out of warrenty, you might still be able get a replacement for your hard drive.  This happened to me, I opened the case and got a replacement for the dead hard drive from seagate. 
njc
Visitor
njc

I am very dissappointed as I bought the drive for my home network and it was easy to install but it did not last a month defore I was having to "Remount" because it was "offline" which I now understand the intermitttent problem before it went to a hard failure. I am now waiting for Seagate support to issue an RMA for guaranty.  I recognized the clicking sounds as the drive heads recalibrating to the home position o track 0.  Some where I read that this drive is not rated for continuos operation ?  If so I would have not bought it but like most device it could have a programable time out where the drve could spin down and obvious wait  while it spins back up afte receiving a drive command.  Maybe I was expecting too much from home devices.